A Nature Photographer’s Second Dream
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you imagined.” ~Thoreau
A Second Dream
I believe that nature has the capacity to instill hope within the human spirit. I have experienced this in my own life and witnessed it in the lives of countless others during 30 years as a social worker. Having a private practice and helping others was a fulfilled dream of mine. Five years ago I made a decision to retire from that career and focus on a second dream – nature photography.
My husband, Steve is also a photographer and we often work in partnership on commercial projects. Our images have been used extensively by the Oregon Coast Aquarium where we were the official photographers for two years. Recent and present commercial work includes contracts with Oregon Coast Visitors Association and South Coast Development Council. Our job is to capture the natural beauty of the Oregon Coast and to showcase visitors enjoying the area’s resources. Via these collaborations our images are beginning to be seen extensively throughout the coastal marketing sphere. This commercial work is expanding our imagination and giving us opportunity to explore the state that we love. These are phenomenal organizations committed to quality commercial development.
Most recently I have been working in contract with labyrinth sand artist, Denny Dyke shooting his elaborate, experiential events on Bandon Beach. I am grateful for this collaboration and I feel fortunate to be a part of the soulful Circles in the Sand team as their official photographer.
Another on-going personal project of mine is the development of an in depth portfolio of the Oregon Coast with particular focus on the Oregon Islands National Wildlife Refuge System. My hope is that this will result in a coffee table book showcasing the beauty and ecological importance of this refuge system.
I aspire to utilize my images in conservation efforts related to preserving wildlife and our natural environment. If my photographs contribute in any small manner towards increased awareness in this realm I am sincerely gratified.
Lastly, I offer individual and small group photography lessons in my local area. This has been a fun new addition to my photography business!
My work can be found at two Bandon locations, the Second Street Gallery in Bandon and in our motel office at Lakris Inn. Additionally, you can find me on Facebook at SusanDimockPhotography and on my website at www.susandimock.com
“Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.” ~ Albert Einstein
Upcoming events, Awards and Accomplishments:
- Upcoming: October, 2019, Instructor for Out Of Oregon Convention in Newport Oregon.
- Upcoming: CAM, (Coos Art Museum), Solo show of 21 images titled, “Taking Refuge”. July, 2020.
- Upcoming Publication: Via Magazine, Summer, 2019
- MNN. (Mother’s Nature Magazine) Online Magazine, April, 2019
- Bend Health Magazine: Summer, 2018
- Publication Contract: Circles in the Sand Calendar, 2018 & 2019. Presently, Circles in the Sand official photographer for marketing purposes.
- Publication: Audubon Magazine, Article and image, Fall, 2018
- Presenter for Columbia Council of Camera Clubs, Mill Casino, Coos Bay, Or., 2018
- Presenter for the Columbia Council of Camera Clubs, Newport, Or., 2016
- Presently represented by Second Street Gallery, Old Town, Bandon
- Assistant and guide to Denise Ippolito for her Bandon Sea stack workshops in 2016 and 2017.
- Honorable Mention in the National Wildlife Refuge Contest 2015
- Solo judge for Photocrowd.com Bird Photography Contest, 2015
- Guest blogger for Photocrowd.com on tips for bird photography
- Guest blogger for Rick Sammon on how to create bird blurs, Blurs of a Feather
- Honorable Mention awarded in the Coos Museum, Pacific Shores Art Contest in 2015 Announcement on my Facebook
- Honorable Mention awarded in the 2015 Art by the Sea photography contest of Bandon, Oregon
- Owner with my husband, Steve of Bird Photography, the largest Google Plus bird community which over 30,000 members. (2016-2017)
- Eighteen month “solo” show in the Passages of the Deep Exhibit at the Oregon Coast Aquarium in 2011-12
- Official photography team with husband, Steve hired by the Oregon Coast Aquarium in 2012-2013. Multiple images of mine were utilized and continue to be utilized for the Aquarium’s publications and marketing purposes.
- Permanent exhibit of 20 images in the lobby of the Best Western Face Rock of Bandon, Oregon. The exhibit features local seascapes and wildlife by myself and husband, Steve.
- Some of my images purchased for the local Bandon Chamber of Commerce new website to pilot soon and also chamber publications.
- Pacific Park Gallery Exhibit Beauty and the Birds in 2014. 30 pieces by Susan and Steve Dimock
- Holiday show benefit initiated and curated by myself in 2014 to raise money for a local couple in need.
- Participated as member of judge team for the “Wings” bird photography contest at Sage Gallery of Bandon, Oregon in 2012.
- Frequently featured photographer in a local, popular coffee shop of Bandon, Coffee Cafe
- Initiated and implemented Pelican Poster Fundraiser to benefit the Gulf Oil Spill wildlife victims.
I am available for special projects and individual lessons. If you would like to schedule a slide show and talk for your camera club or special event please contact me via email.