A Nature Photographer’s Second Dream
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you imagined.” ~Thoreau
I believe that nature has the capacity to instill hope within the human spirit. I have experienced this in my own life and witnessed it in the lives of countless others over the last 22 years as a social worker and psychotherapist. Having a private practice and helping others was a fulfilled dream of mine. In 2013 I made the decision to retire from that career and follow a second dream; nature photography. Photography draws me into my surroundings and facilitates focus on details previously overlooked. Social work gave me the lens required to focus on the nature of humans. Similarly, photography now gives me the lens to focus in on nature, literally and creatively.
My first love in this creative realm was birds. I’m simply crazy about them. But I have also diversified and found countless hours of joy learning to
make my own artistic renditions of flowers, landscapes and so much more.
Whether it is birds, flowers or sunsets, my process is to sit with my subjects and work them tirelessly until I have created an image that makes me say and feel that intangible sense of ahhhh….
Awards and Accomplishments:
- Honorable Mention in the National Wildlife Refuge Contest 2015
- Solo judge for Photocrowd.com Bird Photography Contest, 2015
- Guest blogger for Photocrowd.com on tips for bird photography
- Guest blogger for Rick Sammon on how to create bird blurs, Blurs of a Feather
- Honorable Mention awarded in the Coos Museum, Pacific Shores Art Contest in 2015 Announcement on my Facebook
- Honorable Mention awarded in the 2015 Art by the Sea photography contest of Bandon, Oregon
- Owner with my husband, Steve of Bird Photography, the largest Google Plus bird community now boasting over 30,000 members. I facilitate a weekly contest on our community site.
- Eighteen month “solo” show in the Passages of the Deep Exhibit at the Oregon Coast Aquarium in 2011-12
- Official photography team with husband, Steve hired by the Oregon Coast Aquarium in 2012-2013. Multiple images of mine were utilized and continue to be utilized for the Aquarium’s publications and marketing purposes.
- Permanent exhibit of 20 images in the lobby of the Best Western Face Rock of Bandon, Oregon. The exhibit features local seascapes and wildlife by myself and husband, Steve.
- Some of my images purchased for the local Bandon Chamber of Commerce new website to pilot soon and also chamber publications.
- Pacific Park Gallery Exhibit Beauty and the Birds in 2014. 30 pieces by Susan and Steve Dimock
- Holiday show benefit initiated and curated by myself in 2014 to raise money for a local couple in need.
- Participated as member of judge team for the “Wings” bird photography contest at Sage Gallery of Bandon, Oregon in 2012.
- Frequently featured photographer in a local, popular coffee shop of Bandon, Coffee Cafe
- Initiated and implemented Pelican Poster Fundraiser to benefit the Gulf Oil Spill wildlife victims.
I am available for special projects and individual lessons. If you would like to schedule a slide show and talk for your camera club or special event please contact me via email.